I’m delighted to finally announce the date and location for the European Swing Dance Championships 2013 – it’s London on 25th, 26th and 27th October 2013!
Every year we have a survey to get feedback about the event, and we’re really grateful that every year we get hundreds of responses. I know this means you care about how ESDC is run, and I’m listening! So you asked for it, here’s some of the changes we’re making this year:
- Venues closer together: in fact, everything is in one place! The beautiful 4-star Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel. Compete, take classes, dance all night long, sleep and eat all in one glamorous location! And best of all, the hotel is just minutes from London Heathrow Airport.
- NEW simple pass system: choose from a Gold, Silver or Bronze pass! Gold is a full weekend pass including workshops. Silver is a full weekend social pass, no workshops. Bronze is a day social pass (choose Friday, Saturday or Sunday). And you can compete with any pass.
- Dancing until daylight every night: you heard right! We can dance until 6am in our beautiful ballroom every single night!
- XL Dancefloors in every room: XL Dancefloors are bringing their truly stunning dancefloors for ESDC. They call them the best in Europe, but I’d call them the best in the world. Beautifully sprung, you’ll dance all night and not even notice. It’s like dancing on air.
- More European instructors! We’re still going to be joined by a few of our non-European favourites, but by popular demand, the teaching lineup is predominantly European this year. Supporting and showcasing European talent, hoorah!
- 24 hour food options available – award-winning eateries at the hotel, plus 24 hour room service, and if you’ve really got the munchies, head to the 24-hour Macdonalds next door.
- Full bar at the parties – we know some of you just want a stiff drink after a long day of classes and competitions. So no more messing around in that regard: we’ll have a full bar at our ballroom, plus there’s two gorgeous bars – Bijou Bar and Oceanic Bar – in the lobby!
- Clearer competition titles! As requested, we’ve moved away from the American and West Coast Swing system of titles, to more clear and logical contest titles that make more sense for the European Lindy Hop and swing dance community.
- Later class start times: no more 9am classes! We promise class will never start earlier than 11am.
- More competitions back-to-back, so you get longer blocks of social dancing to fantastic live bands!
- Top 3 places with cash prizes for ALL contests!
- All placements, and judges scores will be announced
- We’ll put the videos online as fast as humanly possible
- As requested, a NEW workshop stream focused on Competition & Show! We are also introducing an Intensive track – an opportunity to work on your Lindy Hop technique with your partner in a small group setting.
- NEW People’s Choice Awards – audience judging to give a counterpoint to the official scores, and help keep the competitions fair and impartial.